AITEO RENOVATES LEAKAGE, RESUMES OPERATION OF THE NEMBE CREEK OIL EXPORT PIPELINE
The Nembe Creek Trunk Line (NCTL) has resumed operations on March 7 after the rumour of pipeline leakage which warranted the shutdown of the facility on February 28, 2019.
Mr Masade Odianosen, spokesperson for Aiteo Eastern Exploration and Production, the operator of the 97 km NCTL, informed the News Agency of Nigeria on Sunday that the facility is now very effective.
The improvement has soothed fears of a major difficulty of oil export on the export pipeline that leaves up to 150,000 bpd of crude to the Bonny Oil Export Terminal.
Odianosen explained that the NCTL was running when the explosion from an oil well within the OML 29 oil block happened. The National Oil Spills Detection and Response Agency (NOSDRA) had earlier said that it had started investigations into the explosion located within OML 29 operated by Aiteo Eastern Exploration.
According to the AITEO officials, the explosion triggered a fire, which was put off on March 2. However, it had already dispensed an unknown volume of crude oil and gas into the environment, with no loss of lives recorded.
Dr Peter Idabor, the Director-General, National Oil Spills Detection and Response Agency (NOSDRA), also confirmed to NAN that a Joint Investigative Visit (JIV) had been summoned by Aiteo.
Idabor explained that the JIV, a statutory investigation of leak incidents in the oil and gas sector would determine the cause of the explosion, the volume of oil leakage as well as assess damage to the environment.
The Aiteo spokesperson said that the JIV oficials are yet to arrive at a conclusion on the reason for the inferno, adding that the incident did not in any way have links with the pipeline.
Aiteo promised that investigation into the incident was of utmost priority, re-stating that the explosion did not affect the 97 km Nembe Creek Trunk Line (NCTL) which was shut down on February 28 before the incident,