Eni, BP Discovers Gas in Giant African Country

Eni, BP Discovers Gas in Giant African Country

Eni, BP Discovers Gas in Giant African Country
 
Adedayo Osho
September 21, 2020
Abuja
 
Eni, an Italian oil and gas company and its partner, BP, a British multinational oil and gas firm have announced in September 2020, the discovery of a new gas in the Great Nooros area, in the Abu Madi West Development Lease, in Nile Region of Egypt.
 
The Great Nooros discovery tagged Nidoco NW-1 well, is situated in a 16 metres of water depth. It is five kilometres from the coast and four kilometres north from the Nooros field which was discovered in July 2015.
 
"The preliminary evaluation of the well results, considering the extension of the reservoir towards north and the dynamic behaviour of the field, together with the recent discoveries performed in the area, indicates that the Great Nooros Area gas in place can be estimated in excess of 4Tcf," Eni confirmed.
 
The conglomerate, which has been exploring in Egypt since 1954 through its subsidiary IEOC, will own 75% stake in the license of Abu Madi West Development Lease, leaving BP with 25%. 
 
In July 2020, Eni drilled its first exploration well in the conventional Egyptian waters of the Nile Delta, on the prospect called Bashrush. The discovery, which further extends to the west. The gas potential from the Great Nooros Area, is located 12 km North-West from the Nooros field and about 1 km west of the Baltim South West field, both already in production.